Los Angeles Menopause and Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
Los Angeles Menopause & Perimenopause Specialists
Hormonal Imbalances can sneak up on women starting as early as the thirties or as late as the fifties. Women may begin to notice that they feel more tired than they used to and having energy to get through the day may be challenging. Misplaced keys or leaving the coffee on the roof of the car may be signs of a decreasing memory or high stress, and these seemingly trivial mishaps can be symptoms of declining hormone levels. Many women in Los Angeles are under high amounts of stress, which further taxes the body’s supply of hormones and its ability to produce an adequate amount of hormones. The primary female hormones are estrogen and progesterone, and they control a number of functions in the female body.
Estrogen has three forms in the female body, and with aging or stress, estrogen production can greatly reduce. Estrogen is responsible for maintaining feminine features, and it is responsible for breast fullness, clear skin, lustrous hair, strong nails, and collagen production, which keeps skin elastic and youthful. While estrogen is important, it must also not become too abundant in the body; if it becomes dominant, it can outweigh progesterone and increase a woman’s risk for breast and uterine cancer.
Progesterone helps to balance estrogen, and it controls the menstrual cycle, pregnancy, and birth. In many ways, progesterone maintains opposite functions from estrogen. Whereas estrogen promotes holding onto fat stores, progesterone helps to reduce weight and water retention. Healthy periods and the ability to ovulate are also dependent upon an adequate supply of progesterone. It also prevents excessive tissue production, and when it is balanced with estrogen, it can reduce a woman’s chances of developing fibroids, breast, or uterine cancer.
Keeping these two hormones balanced may be the key to helping women prevent health problems and reduce symptoms of disorders that are revolving around hormonal imbalances. Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy can help women to replace deficient hormones and correct imbalances. Some of the issues that can be alleviated with the aid of Los Angeles Bioidentical Hormones Specialist include:
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Most women develop Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome during the teen years or the early twenties. PCOS occurs when numerous sacs filled with fluid cover the ovaries due to an abnormal amount of male hormones being produced in the female body. This surplus of male hormones can cause other symptoms to occur, such as amenorrhea, anovulation, infertility, body and facial hair growth, and acne. Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy offers the option of balancing the hormones to help the symptoms.
- Weight Loss Resistance
- Most of the time, imbalances between estrogen and progesterone can cause weight to accumulate in the abdomen, buttocks, thighs, hips, or backs of the arms. While progesterone promotes the burning of fat for fuel and serves as a diuretic to reduce water retention, estrogen signals the body to hold on to fat and water. In women, a lack of estrogen can cause the body to hold onto extra fat because fat contains estrogen. Imbalances between these two hormones can make it difficult for women to lose weight; however, bio-identical hormone replacement can balance hormones to allow the body to let go of extra weight.
- The phase that occurs three to seven years before menopause is known as perimenopause, and during this time, the ovaries are beginning to reduce their production of estrogen and progesterone. Women going through perimenopause usually begin to notice menstrual irregularities, and they may notice that their periods are heavier or lighter and last longer or for a shorter period of time. Women going through perimenopause can begin to feel like something is not right with their bodies, and they can experience a broad range of other symptoms, which may include a reduced short term memory, acne, migraines, painful periods, amenorrhea, low libido, and fatigue.
- When the ovaries stop producing the necessary amounts of estrogen and progesterone, the body’s adrenal glands are ideally supposed to take over hormone production. However, most women have hypo functioning adrenal glands by their 5th decade, and this is usually due to a lifetime of high stress, a lack of exercise, a poor diet, and irregular sleeping habits. During menopause, imbalanced estrogen and progesterone can cause thinning bones, night sweats, low libido, hot flashes, insomnia, dry skin, weight loss resistance, vaginal dryness, anxiety, depression, and overall moodiness. Bio-identical hormone supplementation can eliminate or reduce many of these symptoms.
- During or after menopause, porous bones are common in women; however, weight bearing exercise can help to reduce bone lose and thinning bones. Aside from eating a healthy diet and exercising, the body must have an adequate supply of hormones for the body to be able to absorb the nutrients associated with strong bones. Estrogen influences the way bones absorb calcium, and when it is deficient, calcium cannot properly be absorbed. When this occurs, it brings about the condition of osteoporosis. Bio-identical Hormone supplementation can slow or prevent this process.
- Women with fibromyalgia experience widespread body pain and muscle soreness, and while physicians are not completely sure what causes fibromyalgia, hormones definitely play a role in inflammation and the body’s pain response. Cortisol is one of the only hormones that increase with age, and it is released when stress occurs. After time, it can begin to be less effective at lowering inflammation in the body, and balanced levels of estrogen and progesterone can help the body’s immune system to be healthy, which can decrease inflammation and pain responses.
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy can help women in the Los Angeles area to reduce the signs and symptoms of aging and hormone imbalances. Bioidentical Hormones can restore deficient hormones to help women recover their quality of life and youthful vitality.
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy can transform the way you look & feel – for good.
Contact a Los Angeles Bioidentical Hormone Doctor today and get back to being you.